Termite Inspections Gold Coast
The Gold Coast is a known termite hot-spot due to our warm and humid climate. Termites like to live in warm, damp and dark places making the majority of properties on the Gold Coast are highly susceptible to termite infestation, especially older properties.
Whether you're looking to purchase a property or ensure the safety of your existing home against termite attack, it's imperative to get a professional timber pest and termite inspection done by the experts.
Inspect My Home provide comprehensive pre purchase property and pest inspections, annual termite inspections, termite treatment and pest control services throughout South East Queensland.
Book a termite inspection now or call 1300 337 447.
What does a termite inspection involve?
Our timber pest inspections involve a visual inspection of the readily accessible areas of the property looking for evidence of termite activity and/or termite workings or damage, timber decay, moisture detection and indentifying conditions conducive to termite attack. The areas that will be inspected include the interior and exterior of the building as well as accessible roof cavities and subfloor areas.
Termites tend to avoid open air and bright lights, and as a result, their colonies are typically underground, out of sight or within wood materials so more often than not, termite damage is hidden away from sight. For this reason, it's important to get a professional pest or termite inspector who knows the common areas to check for termite damage or conditions conducive to termites.
Our inspectors also utilise special equipment to help detect termite activity and damage, including thermal imaging cameras and moisture meters.
The average Pest Inspection takes approximately 60 minutes for a thorough inspection, depending on the size and conditions (e.g. clutter; storage of personal items, etc.) of the home and property.
Following the termite inspection:
Your termite inspection report
The findings of the inspection will then be noted in your pest report which will be issued via email the following morning, including any recommendations for effective termite treatments, such as termite barriers, in-ground termite baiting systems, chemical termite treatments and annual termite control services.
Termite treatment options
Many recently constructed or renovated homes have a physical termite barrier installed. However, if the property doesn't have pre-construction termite protection, there are a number of other termite management options available.
- Chemical Termite Barriers: this is the most common treatment type for subterranean termites, and involves establishing a continuous barrier between the termite colony and the timber in a building or structure. The technician will trench the soil surrounding the property and inject the termiticide beneath it to provide an effective barrier.
- Termite Baiting System: this treatment option involves the placement of cellulose (wood material) bait stations at strategic points around the property perimeter. Worker termites will locate the termite baiting station and leave special scent trails to summon other termites to the food source. The cellulose material is then replaced with a chemical inhibitor that carrier termites bring back to the termite nest and spread the inhibitor throughout the colony. The inhibitor retards the moulting process in termites which prevents them from growing.
If termites are detected in your gold coast home, some form of general pest control will be required to bring the situation under control - especially if you don't opt for a permanent termite solution.
Read our article on which termite treatment is most effective.
Contact The Termite Inspection Specialists
Founded on the Gold Coast, Inspect My Home has been providing prospective home buyers and property owners with comprehensive termite inspections throughout South East QLD since 1995.
With vast experience and local knowledge of the Gold Coast and surrounds, our qualified pest inspectors and termite specialists provide detailed and informative reports following your inspection.
Get peace of mind and make an informed decision on what to do next with the property in question. We also provide annual termite inspections and pest control services for property owners as effective termite prevention measures.
As a licensed and insured company, you can sleep easy knowing that all of our pest and termite reports are carried out in accordance with Australian Standards.
Contact Inspect My Home today for your termite inspection and pest control services on the Gold Coast and reduce your risk of termite attack.
Termite Inspection Costs
Our termite inspection prices depend on a range of factors such as the size of the property being inspected, the type of inspection you need and the region the property is located in. It's more cost effective getting a combined building and pest inspection on the Gold Coast. View our pricing below:
- Apartments of approximately 100sq meters from $440.00 (incl. GST)
- Standard house up to 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms from $495.00 (including GST)
- Standard house up to 3 bedrooms & 1 bathroom from $510.00 (including GST)
- Standard house based on 4 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms from $520.00 (including GST)
- Building Inspection Only - from $360.00 (including GST)
- Pest Inspection Only - from $330.00 (including GST)
- Asbestos Audit - POA
- Handover Report - POA
- Annual Pest/Termite Inspection & General Spray - from $330.00 (including GST)
- General Spray - from $180.00 (including GST)
- Building/Maintenance Inspection - POA
- Pest Inspection, General Spray and Building/Maintenance Inspection - POA
What are the signs of termite damage?
It is almost impossible for a timber pest inspector to visually identify an active termite infestation just by looking at the finished surface of a wall or trim. For this reason, a professional inspector will have a number of specialist tools on hand to help detect termite activity, as well as conditions conducive to termite attacks. This includes a thermal imaging camera and moisture meter.
Early detection is key to preventing substantial structural damage to a property and which could end up costing a fortune in repairs.
How to reduce the risk of termite attack
Apart from proper maintenance and care of the property, annual termite inspections and an up to date termite management plan in place, there are some additional measures property owners can take to reduce the likelihood of termite damage.
Essentially, the fewer conditions conducive to termite infestation the better. The most common conditions include:
- Surface-to-wood contact at support posts.
- Improper drainage away from the building.
- Inadequate ventiliation in the crawlspace.
- Wet and damp areas.
- Exposed timbers and nearby large trees.
- Cellulose debris and form boards left in crawlspace.
- Concrete slab homes, especially when the slab edges are conceiled by garden beds, patios and lawns.
What owners can do to prevent these conducive conditions includes:
- Reduce the areas of increased moisture in the home; repair leaks, ensure ventilation of the sub-floor. Particularly relevant for the bathroom and kitchen areas.
- Reduce areas of increased moisture in the yard and improve drainage.
- Reduce termite 'food'. Unless the timber used to build your home was treated, all timber structures attached to the house should be mounted on metal stirrups to avoid soil contact, while timber frames and cladding should also avoid soil contact.
- Clear any obstacles so termite access points are clearly visible. Also remove any 'risk' materials in the subfloor and around the perimeter of the property.
- For concrete slab homes, ensure the slab edges are exposed and not in contact with foilage or garden beds.
View our checklist on termite prevention measures.
What happens if termites go untreated?
If a termite infestation is not treated, it could (quite literally) being your house down.
The problem is, many people don't realise they've got a termite problem until significant damage has been done. If you can identify a termite problem early, it can save you thousands of dollars in repairs to your home.
The easiest way to identify a termite problem in your home is to book in for a termite inspection every couple of years.
This is totally worth doing since termite damage is NOT covered as part of any standard homeowners insurance package.
Are termites and white ants the same thing?
Yes - 'white ant' is another name for a termite.
Termites/white ants are highly destructive pests that can cause major structural damage to your home.
It's essential to regularly have your home inspected for white any infestation because it's highly likely your current Building Insurance DOES NOT cover you against structural damage caused by white ants / termites.
What are the different types of termites & timber pests in Australia?
There are more than 300 species of termites in Australia. Here are the most common Australian timber pest species discovered by homeowners:
- Mastotermes (or Giant Termite)
- Cryptotermes (or West Indian Dry-Wood Termite)
- Neotermes (or Ring-Ant Termite)
- Porotermes (or Dampwood Termite)
- Amitetermes (or Compass Termite)
If you see any sign of termite infestation in your home, contact us immediately for a thorough pest inspection report.
Inspection Service Area
Inspect My Home are the local termite inspection specialists on the Gold Coast. We service the greater Gold Coast region and surrounding areas including:
- Northern Suburbs: Coomera, Helensvale, Labrador, Ormeau, Arundel, Runaway Bay, Yatala & Hope Island
Full Northern Gold Coast inspection service area
- Central Gold Coast: Southport, Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, Main Beach, Mermaid Beach, Carrara & Bundall
Full Central Gold Coast inspection service area
- Southern Suburbs: Currumbin, Tugun, Palm Beach, Burleigh Heads, Robina, Tallebudgera, Kirra & Bonogin
Full Southern Gold Coast inspection service area
Arrange for a termite specialist to inspect your property today.
Call 1300 337 447 or book online.
Gold Coast Termite Inspectors
Our termite inspection services are carried out by our team of highly trained inspectors. Delivering a professional and friendly service to all clients, our inspectors will provide a thorough and independent property report at a competitive price. Meet some of our local pest inspectors servicing the Gold Coast: